Tuesday 23 April 2013

Experimental Animation (Part 1: Cutouts)

The Brief of this animation was to create a piece that would last for around a minute to a piece of music out of a list that was given to us. We were not aloud to choose our own piece of music. I chose the piece 'Ruta&Daita-A'. It seemed to have a lot of layered content which would be fun to experiment with. It broke down for me into three different sections. The drum beat, then the pan pipes and finally thee voice (Doo foo dooo doo doo do).

This seemed a good idea to break them up into section of different visuals on the screen. Part of the brief said that we were not aloud to have a narrative but I settled from a Peruvian theme (I didn't know this until half way into the animation). It seemed to work. I used cut out pieces of paper on a speckled black background. I drew on the paper with pens and used stop frame animation to create the effect. I used a dope sheet to make sure the animation went smoothly. It turned out that it would become exceeding complicated to get my head round without one so Im glad I used it.

Over all it seemed to work well and in total didnt take too long to create around 8-10hours including creation of pieces and setting up camera, lighting and so on. I shot this in RAW which meant that I would get a high quality image.

No comments:

Post a Comment